A rendition of the emblem on the flag of the U.S. Marine Corps
The official Marine Corps emblem is the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor, sometimes abbreviated “EGA”. Adopted in its present form in 1868 by Commandant Jacob Zeilin, it derives partially from ornaments worn by the Continental Marines and the British Royal Marines , and is usually topped with a ribbon reading “Semper Fidelis”.
The original eagle was a Crested Eagle found in the Americas, not the bald eagle that appears in the current emblem. The eagle stands on the Western Hemisphere and holds in its beak a scroll bearing the motto “Semper Fidelis,” though the scroll is sometimes omitted from uniform insignia.
An anchor fouled with rope stands behind the globe, and while it generally points to the left, it can be found reversed when paired so that the anchors continually face the other.
The eagle stands for a proud country, the globe signifies worldwide service, and the fouled anchor signifies naval tradition.
The use of the emblem became official when the seal was adopted in 1955.